Access Permits

(a) Agricultural Use Access

Serves a farm field abutting a county highway and is used by vehicles and equipment to perform farming activities. An agricultural access is limited to agricultural use

(b) Minimum Use Access

Serves a single-family residence or other low-traffic volume facilities abutting a county highway. Anticipated daily two way traffic is no more than 20 trips

(c) Minor Use Access

Serves property abutting a county highway with an anticipated daily two traffic of no more than 50 trips. Examples include, but are not limited to, small residential communities, small apartment complex, small office building.

(d) Major Use Access

Serves property abutting a county highway with an anticipated daily two traffic of more than 50 trips. Examples include, but are not limited to, subdivisions, industrial complexes, and commercial developments.

(e) Designated Freeway Access

A permit for access to a Will County Designated Freeway. The access shall follow the relevant access type (agricultural, minimum, minor, or major). A list of Will County Freeways can be found in the WCDOT Technical Reference Manual.

(f) Temporary Use Access

A temporary access that serves a property abutting a county highway for no longer than 12 months. At the end of use it is removed in its entirety or replaced with a permanent access (under WCDOT approval and additional permitting).


Application Fees, other Fees, and Fines

(a) Agricultural Access


(b) Minimum Access*


(c) Minor Access*


(d) Major Access (no highway improvement required)*


Major Access (highway improvement required)*


(e) Designated Freeway Access*

Based on Access Type

(f) Temporary Access*


Renewal or Extension of Any Permit Type 


Review Cost - Permit types marked with an (*) asterisk may require additional pass-through consultant review and observation costs. Permit fees that include a base fee plus other costs must be discussed with the Permit Staff to determine the total fee.

Fees for Local Government Agencies – A permit is required for all work within the County right-of-way, including work performed or sponsored by a local government agency. Application fees will be waived for a permit for a local government agency when the work is to repair or update existing utilities or facilities or when the work is done under a local government agency contract. Application fees will be charged when the work is for the promotion of future development and for which the work is being performed by the developer and not under a local government agency contract. The waiver of the Application Fee will be at the discretion of the County Engineer.

Fines - In addition to the permit application fee, a fine will be assessed when work, event or activity within the County right-of-way requiring a permit has commenced without a permit. The amount of the fine will be as specified in Section 56.033 of the Will County Code of Ordinances.  Failure to pay a fine will bring about legal action and/or a draw against the associated letter of credit.

Applicants should use caution in interpreting the information herein above. The Applicant shall not assume that a permit is not required if there is no fee or if the fee is waived by the County Engineer. Any questions should be addressed to the Permit Section Staff.